Alcatel-Lucent net loss narrows in Q1
Saturday, 7 May 2011
PARIS, May 6 (AP): Alcatel-Lucent SA says its net loss narrowed to 10 million ($15 million) in the first quarter compared to a year earlier, when a components shortage caused the telecommunications gear maker's losses to balloon.
In a statement, Paris-based Alcatel-Lucent says rising demand for broadband networks across the globe that lifted sales at the end of last year has continued into 2011.
Alcatel-Lucent also confirmed Friday its financial guidance for this year.
Adjusted operating margin --- its preferred measure for profitability --- is expected to rise to above 5 per cent this year, compared with 1.8 per cent in 2010.
The company says years of restructuring following the 2006 merger of Alcatel of France and US-based Lucent have begun to pay off.