Allocation for fire service cut despite deadly incidents
Saturday, 12 June 2010
FE Report
The government has slashed allocation for fire service and civil defence in the budget for 2010-2011 despite the country witnessing its deadliest ever fire incident last week that killed 119 people.
The finance minister in his budget speech proposed allocation of Tk 1554.4 million for the sector, down by 18 per cent as the figure was Tk 1889.1 million in the revised budget of the FY 2009-10.
After the devastating fire incident at Neemtoli, experts and people from all sections guessed that the government would raise allocation for development of the sector, which struggles with a number of barriers, including manpower and modern equipment.
Even after the incident, the government told several times that they would modernise the sector as incidents of fire are increasing across the country that destroy property worth billions of taka each year.
The government has slashed allocation for fire service and civil defence in the budget for 2010-2011 despite the country witnessing its deadliest ever fire incident last week that killed 119 people.
The finance minister in his budget speech proposed allocation of Tk 1554.4 million for the sector, down by 18 per cent as the figure was Tk 1889.1 million in the revised budget of the FY 2009-10.
After the devastating fire incident at Neemtoli, experts and people from all sections guessed that the government would raise allocation for development of the sector, which struggles with a number of barriers, including manpower and modern equipment.
Even after the incident, the government told several times that they would modernise the sector as incidents of fire are increasing across the country that destroy property worth billions of taka each year.