BJMC retakes People's Jute Mills
Sunday, 3 January 2010
Our Correspondent
KHULNA, Jan 2: Peoples Jute Mills in Khulna has formally been returned to Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation (BJMC) recently.
Sources said BJMC retrenched 294 workers and employees from People's Jute Mills during the caretaker government on July 11, 2007 and closed down the mill on August 1 due to losses being sustrained over the years.
Later, the government took an initiative to run the mill by private entrepreneurs.
Kazi Firms Ltd took the lease of People's Jute Mills from BJMC for initial five-year operation on condition of paying Tk 61.3 million per annum under a lease agreement signed with BJMC as part of privatisation programme of the last caretaker government.
Kazi Firms started its operation on July 15, 2008. Various allegations, including irregularities and mismanagement, had been raised against the lessee and the workers of the mill protested against the mismanagement of the mill authority.
In the situation, Kazi Firms stopped operation of the mill on July 18, 2009 and as a result, thousands of workers lost their jobs.
However, the present government decided to restart the closed mill for the interest of the workers.
Chief Executive Officer of Kazi Firms Ltd Ram Chandra Sannashi handed over the documents in this connection to Project Chief of Peoples Jute Mills Mosharaf Hossain.
High officials from BJMC and Kazi Firms were present on the occasion.
According to a BJMC source, the mill will re-open by February this year.
The government has also taken initiatives to re-open the closed Daulatpur Jute Mill.
Thousands of people will be employed once the two jute mills are reopened.
KHULNA, Jan 2: Peoples Jute Mills in Khulna has formally been returned to Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation (BJMC) recently.
Sources said BJMC retrenched 294 workers and employees from People's Jute Mills during the caretaker government on July 11, 2007 and closed down the mill on August 1 due to losses being sustrained over the years.
Later, the government took an initiative to run the mill by private entrepreneurs.
Kazi Firms Ltd took the lease of People's Jute Mills from BJMC for initial five-year operation on condition of paying Tk 61.3 million per annum under a lease agreement signed with BJMC as part of privatisation programme of the last caretaker government.
Kazi Firms started its operation on July 15, 2008. Various allegations, including irregularities and mismanagement, had been raised against the lessee and the workers of the mill protested against the mismanagement of the mill authority.
In the situation, Kazi Firms stopped operation of the mill on July 18, 2009 and as a result, thousands of workers lost their jobs.
However, the present government decided to restart the closed mill for the interest of the workers.
Chief Executive Officer of Kazi Firms Ltd Ram Chandra Sannashi handed over the documents in this connection to Project Chief of Peoples Jute Mills Mosharaf Hossain.
High officials from BJMC and Kazi Firms were present on the occasion.
According to a BJMC source, the mill will re-open by February this year.
The government has also taken initiatives to re-open the closed Daulatpur Jute Mill.
Thousands of people will be employed once the two jute mills are reopened.