logo

Building collapse: 20 bodies so far recovered

Thursday, 3 June 2010


FE Report
Rescuers have so far recovered bodies of 20 ill-fated people who were trapped under a five-storied building since last night after it collapsed on adjacent multi-storied tin-shed shanties at Begunbari in the capital.
Authorities said Wednesday that sixteen of the victims were identified and the rest could not be identified immediately.
"Twenty bodies have so far been recovered from under the ruins and bodies of eight people were also handed over to their family members in the morning," Executive Magistrate of Dhaka district Mohammad Al Amin said.
The identified deceased are Sharmin Akhter (27), her daughter Meghla (4), nephew Shantona (17), her brother Eijen and brother-in-law Babu (25). Others are Jahanara (35), Sahera Khatun (25), Azizul Islam (32), Imam Hossain (26), Kalpana Akhter (20), Shamsunnahar (25), Morsheda (15), Momtaz (35), Jihad (7), Rabiul Awal (22) and a four-month pregnant mother Moniza (25).
Locals said the concrete building suddenly toppled on the shanties where a number of low-paid garment workers and labourers lived when the poor residents were sleeping inside the tin-shed houses.
"The victims did not get enough time to escape as it collapsed in a matter of minutes," said Nazrul Islam, who was rescued from the building with serious injuries in the morning and added many of them were still trapped under the building which was built on columns, seriously violating the building codes.
He also alleged that a retired driver of the General Post Office in Dhaka --Abbas Uddin -- owned the building which was a three-story one until 2001 and later it was raised to a five-storied structure without receiving permission from the city's development authority --- Rajdhani Unnayan Katripakha (RAJUK).
Firefighters said they have rescued nearly 25 people from under the debris before sending them to Dhaka Medical College Hospital for treatment. Most residents of the five-storey structure escaped unharmed while many dwellers of the tin-shed houses remained trapped under rubble.
A rescue team of the 14th Army Engineering Corp joined the rescue drive with fire service, the police and RAB personnel after 1:00am but were struggling due to narrowness of the roads. The rescuers also snapped electricity and gas connections for smooth rescue operation.
Officer-in-Charge of Tejgaon Industrial Area Police Station Omar Faruk said the building had also crushed at least four three-storey tin-shed shanties by its side.
Rajuk officials blamed shoddy construction for the incident.