Cancelled 27th BCS oral test loses legality: PSC
Friday, 5 June 2009
The Public Service Commission (PSC) has said in a statement that the first viva voce of the 27th Bangladesh Civil Service exams cease to legally exist, reports bdnews24.com.
The statement says the case at the High Court (HC), filed by some aggrieved candidates against the decision to cancel the viva voce, was dismissed in the verdict. Their appeal was also rejected and so, the oral test does not have any legal existence.
The written explanation was given to the reporters when they wanted to know about the controversial BCS exams from the PSC Chairman Dr Sa'adat Hussain at a press conference on the 28th BCS exams.
The PSC cancelled the results of viva voce on government orders after the publication of final result of the 27th BCS on January 21, 2007 on allegations of favouritism and anomalies.
After that, viva voce for those who passed the written test were re-taken, based on which many joined different cadres.
But, with the results out for a second time, many candidates who passed the cancelled exams failed in the next. Then they started movement in their efforts to force the authorities to take them in.
Recently, they lost a legal battle in the High Court.
The incumbent government formed a sub-committee under a parliamentary standing committee to find out ways to take in those who passed the first time but failed in the re-taken viva.
The prime minister also ordered the PSC to resolve the problems of the 27th BCS.
The 2007-2008 caretaker government had said that the interest of the 'deprived' candidates will be specially considered.
PSC said that the government cancelled the exams on serious allegations of corruption and anomalies.
It retook the viva voce following the High Court order and sent recommendations to the government, which accepted those and absorbed recommended candidates in different cadres.
The statement said relevant information, date and explanations were sent to the proper authority and the PSC did not have any new comments.
"Twenty-eighth BCS exams were held properly and peacefully," said the chairman.
Circular on the 30th BCS exams will be given in January next year on completion of the activities of the 29th BCS this year, he said.
It will take one month to announce the date for the preliminary test of the 29th BCS, he added.
PSC member and chairman of 28th BCS Ehsan Shamim said the preliminary test of the 28th BCS was held on November 28 last year and the results were published on February 1 this year. Written test started on April 30 and ended on June 2. Viva voce will follow soon.
Other members and officials of PSC were present at the press conference.
The statement says the case at the High Court (HC), filed by some aggrieved candidates against the decision to cancel the viva voce, was dismissed in the verdict. Their appeal was also rejected and so, the oral test does not have any legal existence.
The written explanation was given to the reporters when they wanted to know about the controversial BCS exams from the PSC Chairman Dr Sa'adat Hussain at a press conference on the 28th BCS exams.
The PSC cancelled the results of viva voce on government orders after the publication of final result of the 27th BCS on January 21, 2007 on allegations of favouritism and anomalies.
After that, viva voce for those who passed the written test were re-taken, based on which many joined different cadres.
But, with the results out for a second time, many candidates who passed the cancelled exams failed in the next. Then they started movement in their efforts to force the authorities to take them in.
Recently, they lost a legal battle in the High Court.
The incumbent government formed a sub-committee under a parliamentary standing committee to find out ways to take in those who passed the first time but failed in the re-taken viva.
The prime minister also ordered the PSC to resolve the problems of the 27th BCS.
The 2007-2008 caretaker government had said that the interest of the 'deprived' candidates will be specially considered.
PSC said that the government cancelled the exams on serious allegations of corruption and anomalies.
It retook the viva voce following the High Court order and sent recommendations to the government, which accepted those and absorbed recommended candidates in different cadres.
The statement said relevant information, date and explanations were sent to the proper authority and the PSC did not have any new comments.
"Twenty-eighth BCS exams were held properly and peacefully," said the chairman.
Circular on the 30th BCS exams will be given in January next year on completion of the activities of the 29th BCS this year, he said.
It will take one month to announce the date for the preliminary test of the 29th BCS, he added.
PSC member and chairman of 28th BCS Ehsan Shamim said the preliminary test of the 28th BCS was held on November 28 last year and the results were published on February 1 this year. Written test started on April 30 and ended on June 2. Viva voce will follow soon.
Other members and officials of PSC were present at the press conference.