logo

Commission starts probe into DU incident

Wednesday, 29 August 2007


DU Correspondent
The one-member probe commission with former justice Habibur Rahman Khan started investigation into the August-20-21 incident at Dhaka University Tuesday.
The investigation will go on from 11 am to 5:00 pm everyday during the 15 working days of the commission on the city's Circuit House Road at Kakrail. The final report will be submitted after 15 days of the investigation.
The commission, however, noted that the timeframe of 15 days is not enough for the investigation.
The persons intending to give witness accounts had been asked to contact the commission secretary. The names of witnesses would be kept secret if they wanted, the commission said.
Investigating official Habibur Rahman Khan at a press conference at the commission's office Tuesday said that he would in fact look into why and how the incident took place and who were responsible for this.
For the purposes, he will take witnesses from students, teachers, law enforcing agencies and the so-called army personnel involved in the incident.
The commission will also scrutinise whether there was any political provocation or influence in the incident.
After competing the inquiry, the commission will place some recommendations to the government so that repetition of such incident never occurred in future, Khan said.