logo

CPA to formulate Code of Conduct for operators

Wednesday, 24 November 2010


Our Correspondent
CHITTAGONG, Nov 23: The Chittagong Port Authority is formulating a code of conduct for all its stakeholders to ensure smooth delivery of cargo by the berth operators and improved services to the exporters and importers.
The port authority has also agreed to reduce the port charges by 33 per cent subject to the approval of the ministry of shipping.
The decisions were taken at the Chittagong Port Operations monitoring committee held Monday morning at the CPA board room with its chairman commodore RU Ahmed in the chair. The CPA board members and senior officials, joint commissioner of Customs and a good number of port users representing different business forums including the apex trade body FBCCI addressed the meeting.
Trade body leaders who attended yesterday's meeting hailed the decision on formulation of the Code of Conduct terming it as a "milestone in the history of the Chittagong Port".
Member of Chittagong Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CMCCI) AM Mahbub Chowdhury alleged that the garment exporters were not getting timely delivery of cargo that severely hampers production in the factories.
"The RMG (readymade garment) exporters are facing a lot of problems due to delay in off-loading cargo from the ships as the berth operators are indifferent towards employing the required number of manpower in the jetties," he said.
He came down hard on the port chairman alleging that the exporters had raised the issue with the port authority on several occasions through formal letters, but the CPA has failed to address the problem.
"I have told the meeting that the CPA has no control over the berth operators. As if it has leased out the country's main seaport to them," Chowdhury told the FE Tuesday. He alleged that the port users have been pressing to formulate a code of conduct for the berth operators and other stake holders to ensure accountability in the cargo handling.
As the port chairman asked the berth operators present at the meeting about the delay in container delivery the private operators made excuses that the delay occurs as their employees, especially the crane drivers and velmet operators go on unscheduled leave.
The port chairman instantly requested the CMCCI representative and other trade body leaders to formulate a draft code of conduct and submit it in the next meeting of the monitoring committee to be held next month (December).
Chowdhury further alleged that the CPA had been charging container handling and cargo off-loading at the rates fixed during the caretaker government although the handling charges have now reduced to Tk 135 a container from Tk 1200 and cargo off-loading from container to shed reduced to Tk 1400 from Tk 3500.
CPA chairman commodore RU Ahmed said that the charges be reduced by 33 per cent after approval by the ministry. "I have sent the proposal for reducing port charges to the ministry of shipping and it will be effective if the ministry agrees," he said.
FBCCI representative SM Nurul Huq has expressed concern at the dillydally tactics of the CPA authority in completing formalities for employment of private operators in the New Mooring Container Terminal (NCT).
He alleged that proposed amendments to the existing terms and conditions for tender will simply delay the process by at least 20 months, which will in no way uphold the image of the port.