Cyclonic storm 'Bijli' moves northwards
Friday, 17 April 2009
A cyclonic storm codenamed 'Bijli' formed over the west-central and adjoining east-central Bay and moved slightly northwards Thursday afternoon, packing a wind speed of up to 80 kilometres per hour, reports UNB.
A latest special bulletin of the Met Office said it was centred about 790 km southwest of Chittagong Port, 735 km southwest of Cox's Bazar Port and 660 km south/southwest of Mongla Port at 3:00pm.
"It is likely to intensify further and move in a north or northeasterly direction," the Met Office warned in its bulletin, prompting the government to take contingency measures to face any eventualities.
Under its influence, deep convection is taking place over north Bay. Squally weather may affect the maritime ports, the bulletin warned.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 54 kms of the cyclone centre is about 60 kph, rising to 80 kph in gusts or squalls. "Sea will remain very rough around the storm centre."
The maritime ports of Chittagong, Cox's Bazar and Mongla have been advised to hoist the local cautionary signal number three.
All fishing boats and trawlers over north Bay have been advised to remain close to the coast so that they can take shelter at short notice.
A super cyclone codenamed Sidr struck the country's coastal belts on November 15, 2007, claiming lives of some 3,447 people and destroying huge property.
On May 3 last year, another cyclone called Nargis brewed in the Bay but bypassed Bangladesh's coasts and struck neighbouring Myanmar, causing loss of many lives.
Meanwhile, Food and Disaster Management Ministry Thursday called an emergency meeting of the Cyclone Preparedness Programme (CPP) in the Ministry's conference room and chalked out necessary measures for facing the cyclone.
"An all-time control room has been opened at the Ministry for monitoring the situation of the cyclone," an official handout said. Contact Numbers are 7164115 and 7162116.
Besides, the government offices in the coastal belt have been put on the alert. Some 42,675 CPP employees were also asked to remain alert for helping local people and taking timely steps.
The meeting, chaired by Secretary M Mokhlesur Rahman, also asked the government officials not to take leave at this hour.
UNB Bagerhat Correspondent reported that the local district administration already took cautionary measures to tackle the oncoming cyclone.
A latest special bulletin of the Met Office said it was centred about 790 km southwest of Chittagong Port, 735 km southwest of Cox's Bazar Port and 660 km south/southwest of Mongla Port at 3:00pm.
"It is likely to intensify further and move in a north or northeasterly direction," the Met Office warned in its bulletin, prompting the government to take contingency measures to face any eventualities.
Under its influence, deep convection is taking place over north Bay. Squally weather may affect the maritime ports, the bulletin warned.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 54 kms of the cyclone centre is about 60 kph, rising to 80 kph in gusts or squalls. "Sea will remain very rough around the storm centre."
The maritime ports of Chittagong, Cox's Bazar and Mongla have been advised to hoist the local cautionary signal number three.
All fishing boats and trawlers over north Bay have been advised to remain close to the coast so that they can take shelter at short notice.
A super cyclone codenamed Sidr struck the country's coastal belts on November 15, 2007, claiming lives of some 3,447 people and destroying huge property.
On May 3 last year, another cyclone called Nargis brewed in the Bay but bypassed Bangladesh's coasts and struck neighbouring Myanmar, causing loss of many lives.
Meanwhile, Food and Disaster Management Ministry Thursday called an emergency meeting of the Cyclone Preparedness Programme (CPP) in the Ministry's conference room and chalked out necessary measures for facing the cyclone.
"An all-time control room has been opened at the Ministry for monitoring the situation of the cyclone," an official handout said. Contact Numbers are 7164115 and 7162116.
Besides, the government offices in the coastal belt have been put on the alert. Some 42,675 CPP employees were also asked to remain alert for helping local people and taking timely steps.
The meeting, chaired by Secretary M Mokhlesur Rahman, also asked the government officials not to take leave at this hour.
UNB Bagerhat Correspondent reported that the local district administration already took cautionary measures to tackle the oncoming cyclone.