Daewoo withdraws from disputed offshore block
Sunday, 9 November 2008
M Azizur Rahman
South Korean company Daewoo International has pulled out from the disputed offshore block Saturday amid mounting tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar over maritime boundary dispute, officials said Saturday.
South Korean ambassador in Dhaka Suk-Bum Park confirmed the suspension of Daewoo's hydrocarbon exploration activities Saturday evening.
"The Daewoo has completed pulling out from the disputed offshore block Saturday after suspending its oil and gas exploration works," Mr Park told the FE Saturday.
"I don't think they (Daewoo) will resume explorations until the settlement of the dispute," he added.
The South Korean ambassador said: "Being a friendly country of Bangladesh we intervened following a request from Bangladesh government."
"The Daewoo has complied with our request," he added.
He, however, underscored the necessity to settle the issue without delay in the interest of all concerned.
The South Korean company was involved in hydrocarbon explorations under a contract with Myanmar in block AD-7 in the Bay over the last week that sparked tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Despite suspension of oil and gas explorations by Daewoo in the disputed offshore blocks both Myanmar and Bangladesh were mobilising security forces on the border, sources said.
Bangladesh's foreign adviser Dr Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury Saturday vowed to protect Bangladesh's sovereign territory, including territorial waters, at any cost.
"Bangladesh wants a peaceful solution to the current issue with Myanmar, but it is determined to protect her sovereign territory including the territorial waters," he told newsmen Saturday.
The foreign ministry earlier said it had received a letter from Daewoo stating that the process of withdrawal from the offshore block had begun.
Regarding the relationship with Myanmar the foreign adviser said: "Of course, we have goodwill for Myanmar, a close neighbour, but critical national interests have to be protected."
Tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar ensued last week when Myanmar initiated oil and gas explorations in the disputed offshore blocks in the Bay.
It mounted further when Myanmar sent warships to support Daewoo drilling some 50 kilometers south of Bangladesh's Saint Martin's Island in the Bay of Bengal.
In response, Bangladesh immediately sent warships in the area.
Bangladesh also continues to look for a fruitful solution to the dispute and urged China and South Korea to help resolve the issue.
The three-member Bangladesh delegation, that flew to Yangon Wednesday last for talks seeking a fruitful solution to the dispute, returned home Saturday.
The delegation, led by foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain, will brief the higher authorities on the outcome of its visit today (Sunday).
A technical delegation, headed by a deputy minister of Myanmar, is also due to arrive in Dhaka to hold talks on sea boundary on Nov 16 and 17 next, foreign ministry sources said.
South Korean company Daewoo International has pulled out from the disputed offshore block Saturday amid mounting tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar over maritime boundary dispute, officials said Saturday.
South Korean ambassador in Dhaka Suk-Bum Park confirmed the suspension of Daewoo's hydrocarbon exploration activities Saturday evening.
"The Daewoo has completed pulling out from the disputed offshore block Saturday after suspending its oil and gas exploration works," Mr Park told the FE Saturday.
"I don't think they (Daewoo) will resume explorations until the settlement of the dispute," he added.
The South Korean ambassador said: "Being a friendly country of Bangladesh we intervened following a request from Bangladesh government."
"The Daewoo has complied with our request," he added.
He, however, underscored the necessity to settle the issue without delay in the interest of all concerned.
The South Korean company was involved in hydrocarbon explorations under a contract with Myanmar in block AD-7 in the Bay over the last week that sparked tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Despite suspension of oil and gas explorations by Daewoo in the disputed offshore blocks both Myanmar and Bangladesh were mobilising security forces on the border, sources said.
Bangladesh's foreign adviser Dr Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury Saturday vowed to protect Bangladesh's sovereign territory, including territorial waters, at any cost.
"Bangladesh wants a peaceful solution to the current issue with Myanmar, but it is determined to protect her sovereign territory including the territorial waters," he told newsmen Saturday.
The foreign ministry earlier said it had received a letter from Daewoo stating that the process of withdrawal from the offshore block had begun.
Regarding the relationship with Myanmar the foreign adviser said: "Of course, we have goodwill for Myanmar, a close neighbour, but critical national interests have to be protected."
Tension between Bangladesh and Myanmar ensued last week when Myanmar initiated oil and gas explorations in the disputed offshore blocks in the Bay.
It mounted further when Myanmar sent warships to support Daewoo drilling some 50 kilometers south of Bangladesh's Saint Martin's Island in the Bay of Bengal.
In response, Bangladesh immediately sent warships in the area.
Bangladesh also continues to look for a fruitful solution to the dispute and urged China and South Korea to help resolve the issue.
The three-member Bangladesh delegation, that flew to Yangon Wednesday last for talks seeking a fruitful solution to the dispute, returned home Saturday.
The delegation, led by foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain, will brief the higher authorities on the outcome of its visit today (Sunday).
A technical delegation, headed by a deputy minister of Myanmar, is also due to arrive in Dhaka to hold talks on sea boundary on Nov 16 and 17 next, foreign ministry sources said.