logo

Emotional start to WC, grieving Mandela missing

Saturday, 12 June 2010


JOHANNESBURG, June 11 (AFP): Africa's first football World Cup began in an explosion of colour and emotion at an opening ceremony in Johannesburg's Soccer City Friday, blighted by the absence of a grief-stricken Nelson Mandela.
Fans wept openly as five planes swept over the stadium and the iconic township of Soweto before 1,500 performers piled on to the pitch for a choreographed dance routine which saw them create a map of Africa.
Mandela was missing after his great granddaughter was killed in a car crash on the way back from an eve of tournament concert but his words were interspersed in an opening song, imploring fans to "overcome all adversity".
Artists from the five African teams competing in the finals then took to the stage, including Khaled, the Algerian king of rai music, and South Africa's legendary trumpeter Hugh Masekela.
Organisers had hoped that South Africa's first black president Mandela would wow the crowds with an appearance but he was instead mourning the death of his 13-year-old granddaughter Zenani Mandela in a crash that police said was caused by a drunk driver.
Mandela is 91 and has been in frail health.
"We are sure that South Africans and people all over the world will stand in solidarity with Mr Mandela and his family in the aftermath of this tragedy," said a statement from his foundation.
"Madiba will be there with you in spirit today," it added.
The death is the latest tragedy to hit the Nobel laureate, one of whose sons died of AIDS while another was killed in a car crash during Mandela's 27 years in jail as a prisoner of the whites-only apartheid regime.
"The nation shares your loss and mourns with you, especially on the day on which our dreams and hopes come alive in the opening of the first FIFA World Cup on African soil," said South African President Jacob Zuma.
In a letter to Mandela, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said he had been stunned "to hear the unspeakably tragic news."
Mandela's lobbying was seen as the crucial factor when the world football federation awarded South Africa the right to host the tournament.
"It was his dream to unite a nation through sport that has been brought to life again today," said a front-page editorial in The Star.
The main headline of the mass-selling Daily Sun read simply: "Do It For Him!" on top of a picture of Mandela clutching the famous gold trophy. Ever since it was awarded the tournament six years ago, South Africa has had to fend off accusations that its lack of infrastructure and high crime rate meant it could not stage an event of such magnitude.
The hosts hope that a successful tournament with world renowned names such as Argentina's Lionel Messi, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and England's Wayne Rooney will overturn perceptions of Africa as the hopeless continent -- a place regarded by many as synonymous with war, famine and AIDS.
All the stadiums and World Cup infrastructure projects have been completed on time although crime is still a worry. Journalists have been robbed at gunpoint and thieves have even stolen cash from the rooms of the Greek team.