Faruk hints at restructuring BDR having two to three tiers
Wednesday, 8 April 2009
Commerce Minister Col (retd) Faruk Khan Tuesday hinted at a sea change in the battered Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) through its resurrection as he presented a comparative picture of the border-security forces of neighbouring countries like India and Pakistan, reports UNB.
He also assured that the probe report on the February 25-26 BDR carnage would surely be authentic and not be like the enigmatic one on the August 21 grenade attack on Awami League rally in the capital.
"The countrymen will certainly know the mysteries behind the BDR brutality and the killers will be identified within the shortest possible time through investigation," said Faruk Khan, who has been assigned to coordinate the probe bodies formed to look into BDR massacre.
He said three teams on both 'inquiry' and 'investigation' are working and the inquiry bodies would submit their reports within the latest one-month term.
He said this while sharing the progress in investigation into the BDR carnage with the reporters at his office in the afternoon.
The former military man hinted at that massive changes would be brought in the BDR structure to make the disciplined force modern and time-worthy.
About border forces' structures in the neighbouring countries -- India and Pakistan -- he said they have two to three types of border forces.
Asked about the possibility of restructuring the mutiny-ridden BDR in line with the neighbours having two to three tiers, the Commerce Minister paused and then said, in a smiling mood: "Let's wait and see."
He said they are taking recommendations from the former BDR DGs in restructuring the border force, virtually beheaded through the killing of all its top commanders deputed from the army.
Talking on the progress of investigations, he said the investigations have been progressing freely and fairly.
"It takes a little bit time to have an authentic, unbiased and acceptable report -- and for this the deadline has been extended," the Commerce Minister said.
Asked about bringing some political bigwigs of both major political camps under questioning, he did not like to name any names and said all would be brought under questioning if their links were initially found.
"Countrymen want it. They're waiting to see a true report," he said, reassuring all about a sure-fire success in the hunt for tracking down the killers involved in the carnage.
He informed that 850 suspects have so far been arrested in connection with the BDR carnage and many gave confessional statement.
Replying to a question, he said nine BDR jawans, those who opposed the carnage, were killed in the onslaught and their families would be given due respects and compensation.
He said they got 1000 kinds of evidences and satellite footages have been added to the list as latest evidence.
He also assured that the probe report on the February 25-26 BDR carnage would surely be authentic and not be like the enigmatic one on the August 21 grenade attack on Awami League rally in the capital.
"The countrymen will certainly know the mysteries behind the BDR brutality and the killers will be identified within the shortest possible time through investigation," said Faruk Khan, who has been assigned to coordinate the probe bodies formed to look into BDR massacre.
He said three teams on both 'inquiry' and 'investigation' are working and the inquiry bodies would submit their reports within the latest one-month term.
He said this while sharing the progress in investigation into the BDR carnage with the reporters at his office in the afternoon.
The former military man hinted at that massive changes would be brought in the BDR structure to make the disciplined force modern and time-worthy.
About border forces' structures in the neighbouring countries -- India and Pakistan -- he said they have two to three types of border forces.
Asked about the possibility of restructuring the mutiny-ridden BDR in line with the neighbours having two to three tiers, the Commerce Minister paused and then said, in a smiling mood: "Let's wait and see."
He said they are taking recommendations from the former BDR DGs in restructuring the border force, virtually beheaded through the killing of all its top commanders deputed from the army.
Talking on the progress of investigations, he said the investigations have been progressing freely and fairly.
"It takes a little bit time to have an authentic, unbiased and acceptable report -- and for this the deadline has been extended," the Commerce Minister said.
Asked about bringing some political bigwigs of both major political camps under questioning, he did not like to name any names and said all would be brought under questioning if their links were initially found.
"Countrymen want it. They're waiting to see a true report," he said, reassuring all about a sure-fire success in the hunt for tracking down the killers involved in the carnage.
He informed that 850 suspects have so far been arrested in connection with the BDR carnage and many gave confessional statement.
Replying to a question, he said nine BDR jawans, those who opposed the carnage, were killed in the onslaught and their families would be given due respects and compensation.
He said they got 1000 kinds of evidences and satellite footages have been added to the list as latest evidence.