Investigation report to be submitted tomorrow
Wednesday, 12 March 2008
The investigation report on the Niko graft case filed against detained former premier Khaleda Zia and four others will be submitted to the Anti-corruption Commission (ACC) tomorrow (Thursday).
"ACC assistant director Shahidur Rahman, the investigation officer (IO), will submit the memo of evidence (investigation report). He is likely to be recommending submission of charge sheet against more or less 15 individuals, including five accused in the first information report (FIR)," a source told the UNB.
The 60-working day deadline, according to the rules, for the IO to submit the investigation report ends tomorrow, the source said adding that the Commission can extend the time if it wants.
Replying to a query, the source said, "Yes, the IO will recommend submission of charge sheet against former prime minister Khaleda Zia and four other initially accused, as their involvement was found during investigation."
Apart from the initially accused ones, others who are likely to be recommended to be charge-sheeted include businessman Giasuddin Al Mamun, former Dhaka Club president Selim Bhuiyan and Law Ministry Joint Secretary Noren Das.
Meanwhile, the investigation team of the case seized two air-conditioners from officials of Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources Tuesday as they were allegedly given to the officers in bribe.
On December 9 last year, ACC Assistant Director Mahbubul Alam filed the case with Tejgaon police station against Khaleda Zia, former law minister Barrister Moudud Ahmed, former-state minister for energy AKM Mosharraf Hossain, former secretary Khandaker Shahidul Islam and vice-president (South Asian Affairs) Niko Resources Bangladesh Limited Kashem Sharif.
They were accused of signing the "illegal" deal with Niko through corruption that inflicted a loss of Tk 100 billion on the state.
A separate case was filed on the same day with the same police station by ACC Deputy Director Shabbir Hasan against another detained former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, former state minister for Power and Energy Rafiqul Islam, former principal secretary Dr SA Samad, former Power and Energy secretary Dr Tawfiq E Elahi Chowdhury, former Petrobangla chairman Dr Mosharraf Hossain and Kashem Sharif of the Niko.
They were accused of signing the "corrupt and illegal" deal with the Niko that caused a loss of Tk 136 billion to the national exchequer.
"ACC assistant director Shahidur Rahman, the investigation officer (IO), will submit the memo of evidence (investigation report). He is likely to be recommending submission of charge sheet against more or less 15 individuals, including five accused in the first information report (FIR)," a source told the UNB.
The 60-working day deadline, according to the rules, for the IO to submit the investigation report ends tomorrow, the source said adding that the Commission can extend the time if it wants.
Replying to a query, the source said, "Yes, the IO will recommend submission of charge sheet against former prime minister Khaleda Zia and four other initially accused, as their involvement was found during investigation."
Apart from the initially accused ones, others who are likely to be recommended to be charge-sheeted include businessman Giasuddin Al Mamun, former Dhaka Club president Selim Bhuiyan and Law Ministry Joint Secretary Noren Das.
Meanwhile, the investigation team of the case seized two air-conditioners from officials of Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources Tuesday as they were allegedly given to the officers in bribe.
On December 9 last year, ACC Assistant Director Mahbubul Alam filed the case with Tejgaon police station against Khaleda Zia, former law minister Barrister Moudud Ahmed, former-state minister for energy AKM Mosharraf Hossain, former secretary Khandaker Shahidul Islam and vice-president (South Asian Affairs) Niko Resources Bangladesh Limited Kashem Sharif.
They were accused of signing the "illegal" deal with Niko through corruption that inflicted a loss of Tk 100 billion on the state.
A separate case was filed on the same day with the same police station by ACC Deputy Director Shabbir Hasan against another detained former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, former state minister for Power and Energy Rafiqul Islam, former principal secretary Dr SA Samad, former Power and Energy secretary Dr Tawfiq E Elahi Chowdhury, former Petrobangla chairman Dr Mosharraf Hossain and Kashem Sharif of the Niko.
They were accused of signing the "corrupt and illegal" deal with the Niko that caused a loss of Tk 136 billion to the national exchequer.