Laxman heading back to L'shire
Thursday, 23 October 2008
Lancashire have re-signed India Test batsman VVS Laxman as the club's overseas player for the 2009 season, BBC reports.
The 33-year-old's first spell at Old Trafford towards the end of the 2007 campaign saw him score 541 runs in eight matches.
"We've had him in our sights for some time," cricket manager Mike Watkinson told BBC Radio Lancashire.
"We needed to beef up the batting line-up because options have been limited in recent seasons.
The move is subject to final approval from the Board of Control for Cricket in India - who, last year, barred Laxman from signing for Nottinghamshire because Notts had several players who had taken part in the unsanctioned Indian Cricket League (ICL).
Former Lancashire batsman Stuart Law, who captained the Red Rose county last season, has played in the ICL - but was not offered a new contract for 2009, with chief executive Jim Cumbes admitting that Law's ICL links had some bearing on the club's decision.
The 33-year-old's first spell at Old Trafford towards the end of the 2007 campaign saw him score 541 runs in eight matches.
"We've had him in our sights for some time," cricket manager Mike Watkinson told BBC Radio Lancashire.
"We needed to beef up the batting line-up because options have been limited in recent seasons.
The move is subject to final approval from the Board of Control for Cricket in India - who, last year, barred Laxman from signing for Nottinghamshire because Notts had several players who had taken part in the unsanctioned Indian Cricket League (ICL).
Former Lancashire batsman Stuart Law, who captained the Red Rose county last season, has played in the ICL - but was not offered a new contract for 2009, with chief executive Jim Cumbes admitting that Law's ICL links had some bearing on the club's decision.