logo

Nadal, Federer, Djokovic into last eight

Friday, 18 March 2011


INDIAN WELLS, California, Mar 17 (AFP): Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer reached the Indian Wells last eight on Wednesday where they were joined by Novak Djokovic whose blistering form this season shows no sign of waning. World number one Nadal defeated Indian qualifier Somdev Devvarman 7-5, 6-4 while 16-time major winner Federer also faced a stubborn opponent in American Ryan Harrison before he pulled off a 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 win. Reigning Australian Open champion Djokovic stretched his win streak to 17 by crushing doubles partner, and Davis Cup winning teammate, Viktor Troicki 6-0, 6-1. Nadal, who is recovering from a left thigh injury that caused him to take a month off earlier this year, wrapped-up his two-hour match with a running cross-court forehand winner. "I played really badly, especially in the beginning," Nadal said. "After that I improved a little bit. I played much better in the second set but it wasn't perfect." Devvarman, who made the final in Johannesburg last month, earned the respect of Nadal and the main stadium crowd which gave him several ovations. "All matches are different for sure," Nadal said. "He (Somdev) did well. He is a good player." Devvarman, who is the first Indian player to reach the fourth round at this desert venue, said he felt comfortable on centre court. "I was pleased with the way I competed. I wasn't over-awed by the situation or the guy I was playing against," Devvarman said. "It was a great experience to play the No. 1 player in the world and in one of the biggest stadiums in the world."