No arrests without specific charges: Tuku
Monday, 29 November 2010
State Minister for Home Affairs Shamsul Hoque Tuku has denied the opposition's claim that mass arrests were being carried out to foil the upcoming general strike on November 30 justifying that the law enforcers are carrying out drives based on specific charges.
"Drives have been carried out without any ulterior motive", he said, while briefing newsmen at his secretariat office Sunday, reports bdnews24.com.
Mr Tuku claimed that the latest hartal has been called in a bid to destroy public properties and create anarchy in the country. "The authorities were closely observing the pre-hartal situation to foil any destructive mode adopted by the opposition", he added.
The opposition party in a statement Saturday claimed that over 300 of their leaders and activists had been arrested throughout the country and alleged that their pro-hartal processions were barred by law enforcers.
The police Sunday said that they had so far arrested 79 people from the city in a 24-hour special drive from Saturday morning.
Mr Tuku termed opposition's hartal call was 'baseless'.
He said, "They could not save Bangabandhu murderers. Next in line are war criminals. If the opposition fails to save the war criminals, the nationalist force that carries the spirit of Pakistan at heart will cease to exist. That's why they have called hartal."
Stressing on maintaining peace on hartal day, the state minister said the people would choose whether to come or not come out during the hartal or to bring out their cars. But if the people want to defy hartal and the opposition creates hindrance to that by resorting to vandalism, the law enforcers would foil their evil intention and tackle the situation.
"Drives have been carried out without any ulterior motive", he said, while briefing newsmen at his secretariat office Sunday, reports bdnews24.com.
Mr Tuku claimed that the latest hartal has been called in a bid to destroy public properties and create anarchy in the country. "The authorities were closely observing the pre-hartal situation to foil any destructive mode adopted by the opposition", he added.
The opposition party in a statement Saturday claimed that over 300 of their leaders and activists had been arrested throughout the country and alleged that their pro-hartal processions were barred by law enforcers.
The police Sunday said that they had so far arrested 79 people from the city in a 24-hour special drive from Saturday morning.
Mr Tuku termed opposition's hartal call was 'baseless'.
He said, "They could not save Bangabandhu murderers. Next in line are war criminals. If the opposition fails to save the war criminals, the nationalist force that carries the spirit of Pakistan at heart will cease to exist. That's why they have called hartal."
Stressing on maintaining peace on hartal day, the state minister said the people would choose whether to come or not come out during the hartal or to bring out their cars. But if the people want to defy hartal and the opposition creates hindrance to that by resorting to vandalism, the law enforcers would foil their evil intention and tackle the situation.