logo

'No visible progress in Rohingya repatriation'

Wednesday, 11 May 2022


No visible progress has been made in the repatriation of displaced Rohingyas to their homeland Myanmar, said State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief Dr Enamur Rahman on Tuesday, reports UNB.
"We sat in a meeting last month and a list of Rohingyas was sent to Myanmar. The Myanmar authorities received the list. So far we have provided lists of 35,000 Rohingyas but they are yet to inform us about how many people they will receive," he said.
Enamur came up with the remarks while talking to reporters after a meeting with Nicholas Koumjian, Head of Independent Investigative Mechanism on Myanmar (IIMM), at the Secretariat.
IIMM chief came here to investigate the torture on Rohingyas by Myanmar security forces before they fled to Bangladesh and he also sought assistance of Refugee Relief & Repatriation Commissioner in Cox's Bazar to collect statements from Rohingya victims, he said.
"We also assured him of providing all necessary support," he added.
However, Nicholas also said they will work to get international support to send back Rohingyas to their homeland with rights and safety. Referring to another meeting with a delegation of USAID, Enamur said the delegation expressed satisfaction over the management of Rohingyas in Cox's Bazar.
Enamur also requested the USAID delegation to take effective steps so that other UN organizations like UNHCR and WFP can start carrying out their activities for Rohingyas at Bhasanchar.