OMS resumes with little response
Friday, 11 November 2011
Talha Bin Habib
The OMS (Open Market Sale) programme resumed Thursday in the capital after Eid holidays with a little response from the consumers as most of them are yet to return to the capital after celebrating the religious festival.
The number of trucks engaged in the programme was about fifty per cent on the first day of its resumption after four days of public holiday compared with the number during the usual times.
"About 106 trucks were engaged on the first day after Eid. Only rice was sold on the day," a high official of the department of food told the FE Thursday.
"The selling of atta together with rice will start again from Friday (today)," an official of the Dhaka Rationing told the FE, preferring anonymity.
The government has also planned to increase the number of trucks with additional amount of atta considering the growing demand under the OMS programme.
The government will increase the amount of atta and the number of trucks to 250 from the existing number in response to the growing demand, officials of department of food said.
Food and Disaster Management Minister Dr Mohamamd Abdur Razzaque after visiting different OMS outlets in the capital last week said that the government was thinking about extending the OMS programme with additional amount of atta in the capital considering the cause of the limited income group of people.