PCB disappointed over World Cup hosting loss
Sunday, 19 April 2009
ISLAMABAD, Apr 18 (AP): The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) expressed disappointed Saturday after the game's governing body removed it as co-host of the 2011 World Cup because of security fears.
"It's disappointing to lose the hosting rights of the World Cup," PCB chief operating officer Salim Altaf was quoted as saying by the Urdu-language daily Express.
Altaf said further details of the decision would be available once PCB chairman Ijaz Butt returns from the International Cricket Council's board meeting in Dubai.
"He (Butt) will tell the reasons for this tough decision once he returns home," Altaf said.
The ICC board said it acted due to the "uncertain security situation" in Pakistan, which was due to co-host the event with India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Pakistan's viability as hosts of a scheduled 14 World Cup matches was put in serious doubt after the Sri Lankan team bus was attacked by a dozen gunmen in Lahore last month, injuring several players and killing six police officers and a van driver.
Ex-test batsman and national coach Javed Miandad, who was named PCB director general earlier this month, said the ICC should have had waited before scrapping Pakistan as the venue two years in advance.
"I am deeply hurt by this decision because it's still two years to go in the World Cup," Miandad said. "I think the ICC should have waited for some time before deciding to remove Pakistan as co-host."
The decision also rankled other former Pakistan test cricketers, who blamed poor lobbying, poor homework and poor planning by the PCB ahead of the ICC meeting.
"They (PCB) should have drummed up support of local stars and reacted proactively, but I think they made a casual attempt to safeguard the World Cup in Pakistan," former test captain Ramiz Raja, who is now a commentator.
The ICC not only removed Pakistan as one of the four World Cup host, it also signaled a warning that international cricket might not return to Pakistan for several years.
"It's disappointing to lose the hosting rights of the World Cup," PCB chief operating officer Salim Altaf was quoted as saying by the Urdu-language daily Express.
Altaf said further details of the decision would be available once PCB chairman Ijaz Butt returns from the International Cricket Council's board meeting in Dubai.
"He (Butt) will tell the reasons for this tough decision once he returns home," Altaf said.
The ICC board said it acted due to the "uncertain security situation" in Pakistan, which was due to co-host the event with India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Pakistan's viability as hosts of a scheduled 14 World Cup matches was put in serious doubt after the Sri Lankan team bus was attacked by a dozen gunmen in Lahore last month, injuring several players and killing six police officers and a van driver.
Ex-test batsman and national coach Javed Miandad, who was named PCB director general earlier this month, said the ICC should have had waited before scrapping Pakistan as the venue two years in advance.
"I am deeply hurt by this decision because it's still two years to go in the World Cup," Miandad said. "I think the ICC should have waited for some time before deciding to remove Pakistan as co-host."
The decision also rankled other former Pakistan test cricketers, who blamed poor lobbying, poor homework and poor planning by the PCB ahead of the ICC meeting.
"They (PCB) should have drummed up support of local stars and reacted proactively, but I think they made a casual attempt to safeguard the World Cup in Pakistan," former test captain Ramiz Raja, who is now a commentator.
The ICC not only removed Pakistan as one of the four World Cup host, it also signaled a warning that international cricket might not return to Pakistan for several years.