Petrobangla explains its position on maritime boundary
Tuesday, 19 January 2010
State-owned Petrobangla tried their best to make the officials of US-based international company understand the “changed scenario with neighbouring India” as regards to international maritime boundary, reports UNB.
Petrobangla officials explained Bangladesh’s “new position” on maritime boundary in the negotiation with ConocoPhillips that began in the city Monday. But it is not clear if any progress has been made in the second round of negotiation.
Sources indicated that Conoco stuck to its previous position on the most issues that came up for discussion.
Petrobangla Chairman Prof Hossain Mansur, however, told the news agency that the talks were taking place as a “continuation of the negotiation process.”
He said: “We are hopeful of making some breakthrough in the negotiation.”
The first round of negotiation took place in October last year following the approval of the government to award two offshore gas blocks to the Conoco.
In the first round negotiation, the Petrobangla officials had conveyed a government decision to the Conoco that Bangladesh would not allow foreign company to conduct any exploration work in the “disputed territory” where both neighbouring India and Myanmar made their respective claims along with Bangladesh’s claim.
The caretaker government invited bid in 2008 for hydrocarbon exploration in the country’s maritime boundary. ConocoPhillips came out as the lone responsive bidder in eight blocks while Irish company Tullow became responsive in one block. The caretaker government refrained from taking decision on the award of the gas blocks.
But after assuming office, the present Awami League government approved bids for only three blocks and decided to award two blocks (Block-10 and 11) to Conoco and one block to Tullow.
It also decided that Bangladesh would not allow any exploration works by any foreign company in the disputed area of the blocks. All the three blocks have disputed territory as per claim of the neighbours.
Petrobangla officials explained Bangladesh’s “new position” on maritime boundary in the negotiation with ConocoPhillips that began in the city Monday. But it is not clear if any progress has been made in the second round of negotiation.
Sources indicated that Conoco stuck to its previous position on the most issues that came up for discussion.
Petrobangla Chairman Prof Hossain Mansur, however, told the news agency that the talks were taking place as a “continuation of the negotiation process.”
He said: “We are hopeful of making some breakthrough in the negotiation.”
The first round of negotiation took place in October last year following the approval of the government to award two offshore gas blocks to the Conoco.
In the first round negotiation, the Petrobangla officials had conveyed a government decision to the Conoco that Bangladesh would not allow foreign company to conduct any exploration work in the “disputed territory” where both neighbouring India and Myanmar made their respective claims along with Bangladesh’s claim.
The caretaker government invited bid in 2008 for hydrocarbon exploration in the country’s maritime boundary. ConocoPhillips came out as the lone responsive bidder in eight blocks while Irish company Tullow became responsive in one block. The caretaker government refrained from taking decision on the award of the gas blocks.
But after assuming office, the present Awami League government approved bids for only three blocks and decided to award two blocks (Block-10 and 11) to Conoco and one block to Tullow.
It also decided that Bangladesh would not allow any exploration works by any foreign company in the disputed area of the blocks. All the three blocks have disputed territory as per claim of the neighbours.