logo

RAB parades 2 Vishnu 'thieves' before media

Tuesday, 1 January 2008


The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) Monday paraded two suspected smugglers before reporters, a day after they were arrested with ties to the theft of two Vishnu statues, reports bdnews24.com.
Md Abbas Ali (45) and his accomplice Md Nasir Uddin (35), arrested early Sunday, went into hiding after breaking the two stolen Vishnu statues, the RAB said.
Abbas, who was allowed to speak to the media at a press conference at the RAB-1 office in Uttara, denied the charges of stealing the artefacts from the Zia International Airport (ZIA).
But he said he knew the cartel involved in it.
The two 'precious relics' were broken into pieces at Abbas's home in Uttara before they were dumped, according to the RAB.
RAB commander Lt Col Sayedis Saklain told reporters that Abbas and his "close associate had been directly involved in the incident".
"From the statements of the two, we are now confirmed that they were involved in the theft," he said.
The elite force launched a string of raids after the two statues went missing from airport, and finally traced Abbas in Khilgaon and Nasir in Uttara.