Section 144 lifted in port area
Wednesday, 10 November 2010
Our Correspondent
CHITTAGONG, Nov 9: The police administration has lifted section 144 from the Chittagong Port and its adjoining areas after 27 days.
Chittagong Metropolitan Police Commissioner Abul Kashem yesterday said the ban on all sorts of rallies and demonstrations and public gatherings goes from Tuesday morning as the situation in the port area has improved and cargo handling is running smoothly in the major seaport.
The areas in which section 144 was imposed are CPA Building, Port Rest House, Fakirhat, Nimtala, Barik Building intersection, Saltgola rail crossing and the Port's reserved area in the jetties and CCT and NCT.
CMP commissioner ordered 144 under CMP Act on October 13 to make the port operational amid growing tension between private berth operators and dock workers, who refused to work under the operators and made the port partially non-operational.
At the same time the government called out the armed personnel and engaged them to ensure smooth functioning of the port.
Since then the container and cargo handling in the general cargo berths and other areas has been running un-interrupted, bringing down the vessels' stay-time to three days from six days.
The port users and stakeholders on different occasions since then have been urging the government to keep the troops in the port for a prolonged period until the cargo handling and delivery restore fully.
CHITTAGONG, Nov 9: The police administration has lifted section 144 from the Chittagong Port and its adjoining areas after 27 days.
Chittagong Metropolitan Police Commissioner Abul Kashem yesterday said the ban on all sorts of rallies and demonstrations and public gatherings goes from Tuesday morning as the situation in the port area has improved and cargo handling is running smoothly in the major seaport.
The areas in which section 144 was imposed are CPA Building, Port Rest House, Fakirhat, Nimtala, Barik Building intersection, Saltgola rail crossing and the Port's reserved area in the jetties and CCT and NCT.
CMP commissioner ordered 144 under CMP Act on October 13 to make the port operational amid growing tension between private berth operators and dock workers, who refused to work under the operators and made the port partially non-operational.
At the same time the government called out the armed personnel and engaged them to ensure smooth functioning of the port.
Since then the container and cargo handling in the general cargo berths and other areas has been running un-interrupted, bringing down the vessels' stay-time to three days from six days.
The port users and stakeholders on different occasions since then have been urging the government to keep the troops in the port for a prolonged period until the cargo handling and delivery restore fully.