FE Today Logo

Doctor injured as patient's family attacks Shariatpur hospital

May 17, 2026 00:00:00


SHARIATPUR, May 16 (bdnews24.com): A doctor was beaten with a brick and left with a crushed skull at Shariatpur Sadar Hospital after a patient's family turned violent following a death.

At least 10 people were injured in the mayhem that followed.

The attack took place at the 100-bed Shariatpur Sadar Hospital around 1am on Saturday, hospital Residential Medical Officer Mitu Akter said.

The injured doctor, Nasir Islam, was airlifted to Dhaka Medical

College Hospital on Saturday afternoon after his condition worsened.

Police said Lal Mia Kazi, 50, came to the hospital's emergency unit on Friday night with chest pain.

Doctors gave him initial treatment and advised transferring him to the National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases in the capital.

His family refused, signing a written undertaking to keep him at the hospital. He died shortly afterward.

The family then turned on the hospital, accusing the doctor of arriving late, and went on a rampage through the emergency unit.

At some point, duty doctor Nasir was attacked with a brick, leaving his skull severely crushed.

Palang Model

Police personnel reached the scene, brought the situation under control, and pulled the injured doctor to safety.

He was treated at

Shariatpur Sadar Hospital through the

night before being shifted to a private hospital in the town in the morning as his condition deteriorated further.

The doctor

was later sent to Dhaka for advanced treatment.

Police Superintendent Rownak Jahan said one person, identified as Al Amin, had been detained in connection with the attack.

Efforts to identify others involved are under way.

Among the other injured are security guards Sohel Mia, 34, Azizul Rahman, 28, Mosharraf Hossain, 45, Zahid Mia, 41, and Saiful Islam, 51.

District Administrator Tahsina

Begum, SP Rownak, and Shariatpur-1 constituency MP Sayeed Ahmed Aslam visited the hospital on Saturday morning.

MP Sayeed said a committee would be formed to investigate the incident.

"Advanced

treatment has been arranged for the injured doctor. Law enforcers have been asked to bring those responsible to book," he added.

The Directorate General of Health Services and the Ministry of Health have been informed, and

legal action will follow, hospital official Mitu said.


Share if you like