Australia 'concerned' over US-China naval tensions
December 09, 2007 00:00:00
SYDNEY, Dec 8 (AFP): Australia's mandarin-speaking Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has expressed concern over a spike in tensions between the United States (US) and China over US naval visits to Hong Kong, a report said Saturday.
Rudd said that the row, sparked last month when Chinese authorities denied US military vessels access to Hong Kong's port, appeared to be a 'breakdown in communications' and called on Beijing to allow distressed ships into its ports.
"I am concerned about this apparent breakdown in communications, at least between the United States Navy and the Chinese authorities," Rudd said in an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald.
"I would hope that normal arrangements can be restored as quickly as possible for assisting distressed vessels at sea," he added.
The tensions erupted when Beijing in November barred US warships from seeking fuel and shelter in Hong Kong before a storm and also withdrew permission for the US aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk to dock there.
China implied that the actions were a response to US arms sales to Taiwan, which Beijing regards as a renegade province, and US President George W Bush's recent meeting with exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
Rudd's comments marked his first since formally taking power Monday on the importance for Australia of a smooth relationship