FE Today Logo

China jails 42 over Tibet unrest

July 12, 2008 00:00:00


BEIJING, Jul 11 : China has jailed 42 people for their roles in this year's unrest in Tibet, with more than 100 others still on trial who may face the death penalty, state press reported Friday.

Twelve people were jailed for unspecified periods of time on June 19 and 20, adding to the 30 people who were sentenced the previous month and whose cases had already been reported, Xinhua news agency said, citing a Tibetan leader.

No-one had yet been given the death penalty but those still on trial may be, the executive vice chairman of Tibet, Palma Trily, was cited as saying.

"It would be decided under Chinese laws whether some would be sentenced to death," he said. The total number of people currently on trial is 116, he said.

Those jailed or on trial have been charged for their roles in riots in Tibet's capital, Lhasa, on March 14, Xinhua reported. Their crimes include arson, robbery and assaulting government offices, according to Xinhua.


Share if you like