FE Today Logo

Deadly Los Angeles wildfires forcing evacuations

October 15, 2008 00:00:00


LOS ANGELES, (California), Oct 14 (CNN): Two major wildfires, pushed by strong Santa Ana winds, raged through the San Fernando Valley Tuesday morning on a path that has already forced thousands of families from their homes.
A US Forest Service firefighter battles flames in the Angeles National Forest Sunday.
Fire draws near homes in the Los Angeles-area community of Porter Ranch, California, on Monday.
At least two people have died because of the blazes that have burned more than 10,000 acres in the hills and mountains of Los Angeles and Ventura counties, fire and police officials said.
More mandatory evacuations were expected Tuesday morning when winds were predicted to kick up to near 70 mph, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles and Ventura counties and local officials have called on President Bush to issue a federal disaster declaration.
More than 1,400 firefighters from throughout southern California joined the battle to prevent the blazes from pushing closer to pricey neighborhoods on the Pacific coast.
The Sesnon fire, in the Porter Ranch area at the west end of the valley, had burned over 5,000 acres along a southwestern swath by late Monday.
Villaraigosa said 19 structures had been burned by the Sesnon fire, although he said it was not clear how many of them were houses.
The Marek fire, burning at the northeast end of the valley, had charred at least 5,300 acres in the Angeles National Forest, officials said.

Share if you like