FE Today Logo

India hunting bombers after explosions kill 13

November 25, 2007 00:00:00


NEW DELHI, Nov 24 (AFP): Indian authorities circulated sketches Saturday of three suspects believed to be behind a series of blasts outside courts in three cities that left at least 13 dead and more than 40 wounded.
The police said the blasts in northern Uttar Pradesh state Friday afternoon were targeting lawyers.
They are questioning a cyber cafe owner in connection with a threatening e-mail sent just before the blasts, media reports said.
"Now the Islamic raides (sic) which is going to take place against lawyer within minutes," said the message received by some television news channels, the Indian Express daily reported Saturday.
The e-mail accuses lawyers in the state of beating up people falsely accused by the police of terrorism, adding the advocates "refused to take their cases and didn't allow others to take their cases."
The attacks came a week after the Uttar Pradesh bar council unanimously decided not to defend Islamist militants facing charges in the state.
The e-mail also said Indian police would be targeted next, the Express said.
Uttar Pradesh home secretary official Javed Ahmed told the news agency Saturday sketches of three suspects had been released but would not comment further on the investigation.
In the holy Hindu city of Varanasi, where nine people including three lawyers died Friday, the state police chief said the blasts were similar to other recent explosions in the state.
Four people were also killed in the city of Faizabad, near Ayodhya, a hotbed of Hindu-Muslim rivalry where Hindus tore down a 16th-century mosque in 1992 sparking nation-wide riots that left 2,000 died.
Singh said earlier the bombs were transported to the courthouses of Varanasi -- where a string of powerful explosions killed 23 people in March 2006 -- Faizabad and Lucknow by bicycles, which were then abandoned.

Share if you like