FE Today Logo

Obama, Bill Clinton end chill

July 02, 2008 00:00:00


White House hopeful Barack Obama and Bill Clinton have had their first talks since Hillary Clinton pulled out of the race to be the US Democratic candidate, BBC reports.

An Obama spokesman said the two had had a "terrific" conversation during a 20-minute telephone call.

A spokesman for the ex-president, who strongly criticised his wife's rival during the primaries, said he was keen to campaign for Mr Obama.

Mrs Clinton and Mr Obama held a joint rally Friday.

Mr Clinton was in Europe and so missed the symbolic rally in the town of Unity, New Hampshire, the first since the fierce primary contest ended.

He had earlier that week issued a short statement endorsing Mr Obama's campaign.

During the primary battle he was often his wife's most fervent campaigner and one of the most outspoken Democratic critics of Mr Obama.

Mr Obama will face Republican John McCain in November's US presidential election.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton said the senator for Illinois had telephoned Mr Clinton on Monday morning and was honoured to have his support.

"He has always believed that Bill Clinton is one of this nation's great leaders and most brilliant minds and looks forward to seeing him on the campaign trail and receiving his counsel," Mr Burton said.

Clinton spokesman Matt McKenna said: "President Clinton continues to be impressed by Senator Obama and the campaign he has run, and looks forward to campaigning for and with him in the months to come."


Share if you like