FE Today Logo

Restrictions on Pak nuclear scientist lifted

September 02, 2009 00:00:00


ISLAMABAD, Sept 1 (AFP): Disgraced Pakistani nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan, who has admitted leaking nuclear secrets to Iran, North Korea and Libya, said Tuesday restrictions on his freedom of movement had been lifted.
In February, a Pakistani court declared Khan a free man, five years after the reputed father of Pakistan's nuclear bomb was effectively put under house arrest for operating a proliferation network.
Last Friday, the 72-year-old Khan complained to a high court that his movements were still being restricted by the government's security arrangements on his behalf. The court ordered the government to respond to Khan's claim on September 4.
Local media quoted Khan as saying the restrictions had been withdrawn ahead of Friday's hearing.
"The reports that you have read in newspapers are correct," Khan told the reporter, adding that he could not elaborate because the court had barred him from giving interviews to foreign media. He was, however, free to speak to local press.
A senior Islamabad police official said that his force was not restricting Khan's movements.

Share if you like