Suicide group storms Afghan govt building, two dead
January 11, 2012 00:00:00
KABUL, Jan 10, (AFP): At least two policemen were killed when a group of suicide bombers stormed a government building in southeastern Afghanistan on Tuesday, the interior ministry and officials said.
Two attackers blew themselves up in the attack, one other was killed in an exchange of fire with police, while one remaining suicide bomber remained at large.
Police had surrounded the building, which houses the directorate of communication in Sharana, the capital city of Paktika province, a ministry statement said.
In the course of an ongoing gun battle "two policemen were killed and one wounded", while two attackers were also killed, said the statement.
"Afghan National Police are engaging in a gun battle with remaining attackers", it said.
Provincial governor Muhibullah Samim told AFP later that a third attacker had been killed, adding that the group of bombers had planned to target an intelligence office close to the building they had taken over.
The attackers first killed a police guard at the gate before seizing the building, Paktika provincial spokesman Mokhlis Afghan said.
One bomber was killed in an exchange of fire with the police at the gate and a second blew himself up later in the building, killing another policeman, he added.