Taliban, ROK to resume hostage talks
August 17, 2007 00:00:00
Anti-war and anti-US protesters shout slogans during a candle light vigil near the US embassy in Seoul Thursday asking for the safe return of the Koreans kidnapped by Taliban in Afghanistan.
GHAZNI, Afghanistan, Aug 16 (AP): The Taliban will hold a new round of face-to-face talks Thursday with South Korean officials over 19 church volunteers still held hostage, a spokesman for the militant group said.
Qari Yousef Ahmadi, who claims to speak for the Taliban, said the militants will demand the release of eight Taliban prisoners held by Afghan authorities before any of the remaining South Korean hostages can be freed - a demand so far rejected by Afghan authorities.
Three South Korean delegates arrived Thursday morning at the office of the Afghan Red Crescent, where previous negotiations with the Taliban have been held. International Red Cross officials also were at hand to facilitate the talks, said Franz Rauchenstein, an official with the International Committee of the Red Cross.
However, there was no sign of the Taliban delegation, and Afghan officials said the talks might start in the late afternoon. It was not immediately clear what caused the delay.
The Taliban freed two women Monday following two rounds of face-to-face talks, calling it a gesture of goodwill. The kidnappers have killed two hostages - both men - since the original group of 23 South Koreans were seized July 19 while traveling by bus from Kabul to Kandahar.
Ahmadi said the kidnappers will not harm the 14 women and five men still captive while talks are ongoing. He said the Taliban want South Korean officials to pressure the Afghan government to free the imprisoned militants.