Tehran begins enriching higher grade uranium: state TV
February 10, 2010 00:00:00
A satellite image of Iran's Natanz uranium enrichment facility. — AP Photo
Iran began enrichment of higher grade uranium Tuesday, state TV said, ignoring the threat of further United Nations (UN) sanctions by the United States (US) and its allies, reports Internet.
Iran's Arabic-language television channel, al-Alam, said production of 20 per cent enriched uranium had started at the Natanz plant.
Ali Shirzadian, a spokesman for the country's Atomic Energy Organisation, told Reuters that 'preparatory work' had began at 9:30am in presence of representatives from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
The Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said Sunday that Iran would produce uranium enriched to a level of 20 per cent. That announcement was greeted with alarm in the west and raised fears that Tehran wants to advance a nuclear weapons programme.
The US and France led calls for what would be a fourth, broader set of punitive UN security council sanctions. A senior politician in Russia, which in the past has urged talks rather than punishment, also said economic measures should be considered.
The Pentagon stepped up the pressure for sanctions saying it wanted measures in place 'within weeks, not months'. The remarks from Russia raise the prospect of China standing alone among the major powers in opposing sanctions against Iran.
Last night, the head of the Iran's atomic agency said it would not further increase the enrichment levels for the uranium if the west provides fuel for the reactor at the Tehran nuclear research centre.
The percentage measures of enrichment refer to concentration of the most fissile isotope, U-235 - which can sustain fission chain reaction. A weapon small enough to put on a missile would require uranium enriched to more than 90 per cent U-235. Iran was previously enriching uranium to 3.5 per cent.
Meanwhile, Reuters from Paris adds: The US wants the UN Security Council to approve a resolution within weeks, not months, laying the ground for new sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates spoke to leaders in Turkey, Italy and France about the 'urgent need' to move forward on sanctions as soon as possible, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said.
Asked how quickly sanctions could be in place, Morrell said Gates, who visited Paris this week, believed it could happen 'in weeks, not months'.