FE Today Logo

Thai govt talks reconciliation as troops to pull back

May 23, 2010 00:00:00


BANGKOK, May 22 (Reuters): Thailand's government stressed national reconciliation Saturday after the worst riots in the country's modern history but it would not commit itself to an early election date demanded by 'Red Shirt' protesters.
Troops continued their search for explosives in the upmarket commercial area the 'Red Rhirts' occupied from April 3 until they were dislodged by troops on Wednesday, which sparked violence and arson around the capital.
Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva highlighted a reconciliation plan in an address to the nation on Friday but made no mention of the November election he had proposed at the start of May as a way of ending the protests peacefully. Elections are not due to be called until the end of 2011.
"He does not rule out an early election," government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn told Reuters on Saturday. "It depends on how much progress we make on the reconciliation road map. The prime minister will decide on the election date later."
Any red shirt leaders not facing charges for offences allegedly committed during the unrest would be welcome to take part in the process, he added.
A 6 sq-km (2.3 sq-mile) area extending out from the ritzy shopping district was still under military control but government spokesman Panitan said soldiers would pull back from Sunday and allow people and cars into the area again.
However, even as he spoke, a grenade was reported to have gone off in the area near the Central World shopping mall badly damaged in Wednesday's rioting.
A deputy governor of Bangkok said he understood no one had been injured. The grenade may have been set off as troops searched the area.
A curfew remains in force overnight on Saturday.
Financial markets, which were closed on Thursday and Friday, are likely to open on Monday, although a final decision is yet to be taken on the stock market. A fire broke out in the Stock Exchange building during the protests.

Share if you like