UN warns Afghans over poll fraud
September 09, 2009 00:00:00
The UN has called for a crackdown on Afghan poll fraud, amid mounting concerns about irregularities from last month's presidential election, reports BBC.
UN envoy Kai Eide says results from all ballot boxes in areas where there is any evidence of fraud must be annulled.
The Afghan electoral complaints' commission has ordered a number of audits and recounts.
According to the latest results, Mr Karzai is close to the 50 per cent threshold needed to avoid a run-off ballot.
The 20 August poll has been overshadowed by claims of mass fraud and ballot-box stuffing against all the main candidates.
Two senior envoys met President Hamid Karzai Monday night to discuss their concerns.
It is not known how Mr Karzai responded to the visit by Karl Eikenberry, US ambassador to Afghanistan, and deputy UN special representative Peter Galbraith.
On Tuesday, Mr Eide, the top UN special representative to Afghanistan, called in a written statement for the poll authorities to ensure the final outcome faithfully reflected the will of Afghan voters.
Later, the electoral complaints' commission said there should be a recount where any single candidate received more than 95 per cent of valid votes, in any polling station where more than 100 votes were cast.
The body - which has been investigating hundreds of allegations of major poll fraud - also called for an audit in any polling station where 600 or more votes were cast.
It is not yet known how many of the nearly 26,000 polling stations nationwide could be affected.
The BBC's Chris Morris in Kabul says more results are due to be declared on Tuesday, but many senior international officials believe they could be fraudulent.