Another case filed over violence in Rupganj
October 26, 2010 00:00:00
Following the police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) filed a case Sunday, accusing some 3,000-4,000 unidentified people in connection with Saturday's protest and burning of the army camp and some vehicles over land disputes at Rupganj in Naryanganj, reports UNB.
Sub-inspector Yasin Miah of CPC-3 under RAB-3 at Adamjee Nagar filed the case at 10:15pm with Rupganj thana.
RAB in its case statement said some 3,000 to 4,000 agitated people unlawfully threw brickbats on a patrol team of RAB when it reached Ichhapur village, having received information about an attack on the army camp, which left one RAB member seriously injured.
"When police tried to resist the people, they attacked a vehicle of RAB-11 and ransacked it, causing loss of some Tk 0.15 million," the statement said.
It also said the people threw brickbats even to "kill" the RAB members.
Earlier on Saturday night, police filed a case, accusing same number
of people in connection with the violent incidents.
Meanwhile, dead body of Mustafa Jamal Uddin, 28, who succumbed to bullet injuries, was laid to eternal rest in the early hours of Monday.
Jamal's body was taken home on the banks of the Harina River around 11pm and buried "hurriedly" at around 12:30am there, after his namaj-e-janaja was held in presence of a huge number of police and RAB members.
A witness said many people did not attend Jamal's janaja for fear of being arrested.
Jamal Uddin sustained bullet injuries when law-enforcers fired gunshots during the Saturday's clash, and died at Shaheed Suhrawardy Hospital in the city Sunday.
Superintendent of Police (SP) of Narayanganj Biswas Afzal Hossain said police will not leave the murder of Jamal Uddin at Rupganj "uncared for".
"We cannot leave an incident of murder uncared for," he said Monday.
Talking to the agency over phone, Afzal Hossain said they will be waiting until Jamal's family lodge a case in connection with his murder.
"Already a general diary (GD) has been filed over Jamal's murder. If his family does not file any case, police itself will have to do something," he said.
Asked about fear of mass-arrest of the villagers, the SP said he has talked to some of the villagers about the matter and assured them of their safety.
"Police is not going to harass people in the name of arresting. Investigation is on. If necessary, on the basis of specific information, police will take further action," he said.
However, when asked about any move to file case in connection with Jamal's murder, his father Rafique Miah did not want to talk about the matter.
"I just do not want to say anything about the matter," he remarked over phone.
Earlier on Sunday, Rafique Miah had told media men that while they were protesting the "forced purchase of land" for the army housing scheme, the law-enforcers fired gunshots that injured his son.
Rafique had said present value of one bigha of land in the area is around Tk 7.0-8.0 million, but they were being forced to sell lands at Tk 1.4-1.5 million only for the army housing scheme.
Jamal's father also said they were not even allowed to sell land to others.
On Saturday, some 100 people were injured, including at least 24 with bullets, in a series of clashes between villagers and law-enforcers over alleged forced purchase of land for army's private housing scheme at Rupganj.
Of the injured, 17 people, including Jamal, were rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) Saturday afternoon.
Later, the same night, Jamal, who sustained bullet injuries to his right leg, was shifted to Pangu Hospital and then to Shaheed Suhrawardy Hospital, where he died at about 9:30 am. His body was later sent to the DMCH morgue for autopsy.