FE Today Logo

Hand over land for plastic industrial estate urgently

BPGMEA urges govt

FE Report | August 06, 2022 00:00:00

The Bangladesh Plastic Goods Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BPGMEA) has requested the government to take measures for urgently handing over 50 acres of land for setting up the plastic industrial estate in Sirajdikhan upazila under Munshiganj.

To this effect, the association recently wrote to the Ministry of Commerce to send recommendation to the Ministry of Industries to hand over the land for setting up the industrial city, as decided at the ECNEC meeting on December 01, 2015 with the prime minister in the chair.

Currently, the Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) is working to set up the modern and planned plastic industrial park.

Already its land acquisition price has been paid to the DC of Munshiganj. The producers are eagerly waiting to relocate their units to the proposed industrial park, according to the BPGMEA.

Due to slow progress and delay in implementing the project, the owners, producers and entrepreneurs have been facing uncertainty and subsequent frustration, read the letter.

The government termed the plastic industry as the top priority sector in the National Industrial Policy 2016.

The sector has great potentials for Bangladesh to make significant contribution in terms of domestic market as well as export earning by expanding its manufacturing base, according to the draft Plastic Industry Development Policy 2020.

The Bangladeshi plastic industry has potentials to become a major global player. According to a new study by Grand View Research, the global plastic market is expected to reach US$ 721.14 billion by 2025.

The total market size for local plastic products at home and abroad is about $ 2.99 billion. Of which 83.4 per cent is linked with local market, while the rest 16.6 per cent is linked with the global market.

According to the BPGMEA, the average consumption of plastic is about 5-7 kg per person in Bangladesh, whereas the global average consumption is around 50 kg per person, the draft added.

[email protected]

Share if you like